This recipe for Dover Sole with Lemon and Capers is not only rich and tangy but also super fast to make in under 10 minutes.
I really love all fish, but Dover Sole is one of my favorites – not only because of its mild flavor, but it’s also a delicate fish that, when cooked properly, melts in your mouth.
Traditionally when we buy Dover Sole in the United States, we’re really buying West Coast Dover Sole from the Pacific Northwest – mainly from Oregon. The Monterey Bay Seafood Watch has given this fish high marks for both sustainability and for health.
Since this Dover Sole has such a mild flavor, I thought a tangy sauce would be perfect for it – like this lemon, butter and caper sauce.
So let’s make it.
Ingredients for Dover Sole with Lemon and Capers
- Sole fillets
- Sea salt
How to Make Dover Sole with Lemon and Capers
This 10 minute recipe is truly easy, yet the flavor is incredible.
Begin with sprinkling both sides of the fillets with salt and pepper. Next, lightly dredge each fillet with flour on both sides.
Heat a frypan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp of ghee. And when hot, add fillets in pan and cook 2 minutes per side.
To ensure even browning add no more than 3 filets in the pan at one time. Then add them to a serving plate when cooked and begin the process again with the next 3 fillets.
Finally it’s time for the sauce. To the same frypan over medium high heat, add the last Tbsp of ghee.
Then add lemon juice and capers.
Cook 1-2 minutes and pour the sauce over the fillets. Sprinkle the filets with chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
A Note on the Ingredients
I really like to use a fine flour, like Wondra, to coat the fish because it doesn’t seize up and clump like regular flour.
If you would prefer a gluten free option, just coat the fish with rice flour.
I also almost exclusively use Himalayan Pink Sea Salt mainly because the flavor is so intense that you can easily use less. So it’s a healthier option to regular salt.
Another possibility, if you would like a different type of sauce, would be a Tarragon Cream Sauce. Totally different and absolutely delicious. Check out our Baked Halibut with Tarragon Cream Sauce for the recipe.
Dover Sole with Lemon and Capers
- 3/4 Lb Sole fillets
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt Prefer Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Flour Prefer Wondra
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Large Lemon Juiced
- 1 Tbsp Capers
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- Salt and pepper both sides of fillets and light dredge in flour.
- Heat frypan over medium high heat. Add 1 Tbsp ghee and when hot add fillets in pan. Cook 2 minutes until browned and flip and cook 2 more minutes. Add fillets to a serving plate.(Note: To ensure even browning cook only 3 fillets at a time. Remove fillets to a serving plate and repeat step with remaining fillets.)
- To same frypan add the remaining Tbsp of ghee. When hot, add lemon juice and capers. Cook 1-2 minutes, then pour sauce over the fillets, sprinkle with parsley and garnish with additional lemon wedges if desired.
If you liked this recipe please leave a comment below and be sure and Pin us on Pinterest and like us on Facebook!
For Similar Recipes: