Ah, the weekend. Time for a leisurely breakfast. This Easy Frittata with Vegetables and Sausage is the solution to a deliciously healthy breakfast – made even healthier by the addition of turkey sausage.
I love making Frittatas, which is basically the Italian version of a French omelet. The biggest difference between the two is that the omelet ingredients are tucked inside the egg mixture and the Frittata incorporates all the ingredients into the egg mixture.
The great thing about the Frittata is that it always makes a beautiful presentation. Whether you serve it to guests or family, they always think you’ve slaved forever, when in fact making a frittata is actually super easy. The secret of success is sautéing all of your ingredients before hand to bring out the caramelization before you add the egg mixture. And then you bake it. And as Ina says, “How easy is that?”
The ingredients I use usually shift around to whatever I happen to have in the refrigerator. At times I’ve used smoked salmon, or prosciutto, or ham, or bacon, and even chorizo. But this being just past the indulgent eating Thanksgiving and Holiday seasons, I thought I’d opt for a healthier version.
Vegetables are always included because I love them. And my husband loves Sausage, so I added turkey sausage to keep it fairly healthy. And yes, Frittatas demand cheese, at least as far as I’m concerned, so that has to go in as well. I often use gruyere, but being fresh out I had some fabulous vintage white cheddar cheese. To save a few calories I don’t add it into the mixture as most recipes call for, I just sprinkle some on the top. It all works. Enjoy!
Easy Frittata with Vegetables and Sausage
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Shallots Minced
- 1/4 Cup Broccoli Chopped
- 4 Oz Turkey sausage, cooked 4 patties, chopped in bite size pieces
- 5 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tsp Tarragon Dried
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Tomatoes Sliced
- 1/2 Cup White Cheddar Cheese Grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F
- Add butter to a frypan over medium high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms and cook 1 minute. Add broccoli and sausage and cook 1 minute more.
- In mixing bowl, add eggs and water and beat with whisk until thoroughly combined. Add tarragon, salt and pepper and mix again. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and sausage.
- Lay sliced tomatoes on top of eggs. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over top. Bake 25 minutes until browned and eggs are set. Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes before cutting into serving portions.