Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Spinach and Artichokes is quick, easy, totally delicious and perfect for a special company dinner because you can prep everything ahead.
I’m absolutely in love with this wonderful dish. How much? Well, let’s just say I could easily eat it night after and night and not get tired of it. No, really! In fact, just this week I made it two days in a row. Which is really saying a lot because I do love variety. But in the case of this Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Spinach and Artichokes I just couldn’t get enough of it.
I think it’s not only because the flavors blend so perfectly together, but also because this dish is dead simple to make. And after one taste you feel like you’re dining in a fabulous restaurant. It’s garlicky and tangy and so rich tasting but, hallelujah, it’s also super healthy.
Fabulous food with fresh healthy ingredients. This is what the Mediterranean Diet is all about!
Ingredients for Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Spinach and Artichokes:
- Chicken Breasts: The Star of the show
- Spinach: Packed with Vitamins A, C and Iron
- Artichoke hearts: My favorite veggie high in potassium
- Cream Fraiche: Binds everything together for tangy creaminess
- Garlic: Total flavor plus high in vitamins B and C
- Parmesan Cheese: Nutty, salty and totally delicious
- Lemon: For tang and lots of Vitamin C
- Olive oil: The longevity secret of the Mediterranean Diet
- Salt: Just a little
- Pepper: For a touch of heat
- Smoked Paprika: For color and a slight smoky flavor
- Thyme: For a lemony, peppery taste
How to Make Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Spinach and Artichokes
The first step to making this dish is to create a pocket in the chicken breast. Just gently and carefully insert a paring knife into the thickest side of the chicken breast. Be sure and stop about 1/2” from the opposite side. Continue to cut the pocket all around leaving a 1/2” on 3 sides. You want to create a pocket, not a flap. Then set the chicken aside while you make the stuffing.
Just mix the chopped spinach with the sliced artichoke hearts, the garlic, shredded Parmesan cheese, lemon juice and the Creme Fraiche. Then carefully spoon it into each of the chicken pockets and secure each pocket with a toothpick.
Brush each chicken breast with salt and pepper. Then add olive oil to a saute pan over medium high heat and add chicken breasts. Cook 3 minutes until chicken is lightly browned.
Add the chicken breasts browned side up to a baking dish. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and thyme and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
When finished just let it sit covered with foil about 10 minutes while it juices up and all the flavors come together even more.
Expecting company? All the prep work can be done ahead including the 3 minute saute. Then refrigerate it. When you’re ready to bake it, just sprinkle the chicken breasts with smoked paprika and thyme and bake for 30 minutes. Then, while it’s baking, go and enjoy your guests.
Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Spinach and Artichokes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Create a pocket in the chicken breast by gently and carefully inserting a paring knife into the side of the thickest part of the chicken breast. Be sure and stop 1/2" from the opposite side. Continue to cut the pocket all the way around stopping at 1/2" on 3 sides. You want to create a pocket not a flap.
- In a small mixing bowl add the chopped spinach, artichokes, garlic, shredded Parmesan cheese, lemon juice and Creme Fraiche.
- Carefully spoon mixture into each of the chicken pockets and secure pocket with a toothpick. Brush each chicken breast with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a saute pan over medium high heat. Add chicken breasts oil side down and cook 3 minutes until lightly browned. Remove to a baking dish with browned side up. Sprinkle with Smoked Paprika and top each with a few thyme stems.
- Bake for 30 minutes. When finished remove from oven, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes to juice up.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment below and be sure and pin it on Pinterest!
For similar recipes: