This easy recipe for Sautéed Scallops with Browned Butter is absolutely company-worthy. Rich and decadent, the buttery sauce is kicked up with oranges.
Sea Scallops are sweet, rich and totally delicious even without sauce. But the addition of the orange browned butter really sets this recipe for Sautéed Scallops with Browned Butter apart from the rest.
And the best thing about this recipe is that it’s not only simple to make but it’s ready in under 15 minutes, including prep time.
Ingredients for Sautéed Scallops with Browned Butter Sauce
- Jumbo sea scallops: The star of the show
- Salt: To add to the taste of the sea
- Pepper: For spiciness
- Olive oil: For health and flavor
- Butter: For richness
- Orange juice: For citrusy freshness
- Orange zest: For tang
How to Make Sautéed Sea Scallops with Browned Butter
Scallops attach to their shell with a small muscle along one side, so the first thing you do after you rinse them is remove that muscle because it is tough. It’s simple to do this with your fingers because it easily pulls off.
Next add olive oil to a sauté pan and bring the heat to medium high.
Then sprinkle salt and pepper on each side and add them to the sauté pan. They cook very quickly. Just 2 minutes on each side.
Remove them from the pan while you make the sauce.
Turn the heat on the sauté pan down to medium and add the butter. Cook until it’s foamy and slightly browned. Then add orange juice and continue to cook 1-2 minutes more until slightly thickened. Remove the pan from the heat.
Add the scallops pan into the pan and spoon the sauce over the top.
Optional: Serve the scallops over rice and top with chives.
Sauteed Scallops with Browned Butter
- 8 Jumbo Sea scallops
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Medium Orange Juiced
- 1/2 Tsp Orange zest
- Clean and remove small muscle along the side of the sea scallops. Salt and pepper both sides.
- Add olive oil to a saute pan over medium high heat. Add scallops and cook 2 minutes. Turn scallops and cook another 2 minutes. Then remove scallops to a plate while you make the Browned Butter sauce.
- In the same saute pan, lower heat to medium, add butter and cook until foamy and slightly browned. Add in orange juice and continue to cook 1-2 minutes until sauce begins to slightly thicken.
- Remove from heat, add scallops back into the pan and spoon sauce over the top.
- Optional: Serve scallops over rice and top with chives
If you liked this recipe please leave a comment below and be sure and pin this on Pinterest!
For Similar Recipes: