This Tortellini Soup is Healthy, so easy, and most importantly, it’s positively addictive.
About Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Spinach
I have to admit, I had help on this recipe, twice over.
First, was from Tricia Yearwood, who is an excellent cook and gave me the idea for Tortellini Soup.
Next, was from my little dog, Angel, my little four-legged kitchen companion who was with right there with me, underfoot, for every step of the process.
Now, you have to understand something about Angel.
As a papillon, she was all French from her nose to her toes.
Kind of like Remy in Ratatouille.
And like Remy, she had a very sophisticated palate and, except for her dry salmon dog food, she leaned mostly vegetarian.
There are very few vegetables she wouldn’t eat.
Cooked or raw, she was totally happy.
So when she heard me in the kitchen chopping away, she instantly appeared as she waited for her veggie handouts.
Now Coco, the little Maltese, has joined the family.
And a happy surprise is that she’s a veggie dog too.
And this soup is packed with veggies.
So let’s make it.
Ingredients for Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Spinach
- Olive Oil
- Smoked Chicken Sausage
- Sea salt
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Cheese Tortellini
- Baby Spinach
How to Make Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Spinach
Begin with a mirepoix – celery, onions and carrots- and cook them with olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until they just begin to caramelize.
At that point, add 2 cloves of garlic and smoked sausage and let it cook about another minute.
Then add in in the low sodium chicken broth.
At this point, turn the heat up to medium high and bring the soup up to a boil.
Then add in the tortellini and let it cook another 6-7 minutes.
Finally remove the pot from the heat and stir in the tomatoes and raw baby spinach.
Gently stir in the spinach until it just begins to wilt.
Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment below and pin us on Pinterest!
You might also be interested in:
Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Spinach
Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Spinach is not only easy and quick, bit it’s absolutely addictive. It tastes like it’s been simmered all day.
Servings: 2 People
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Large Shallot Diced
- 1 Cup Carrots About 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 Cup Celery About 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 Smoked chicken sausage I used Andouille Chicken Sausage, cut in 1/4” slices
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt I used Himalayan Pink because it has so much more flavor.
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 2 Cups Chicken broth, low sodium Prefer Manischewitz
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 1 Cup Cheese Tortellini
- 1 Cup Tomatoes Seeded and diced
- 1 Cup Baby Spinach
- Add olive oil to large pot over medium high heat. Then add shallots, carrots, celery, salt and pepper. Stir and cook about 5 minutes until slightly caramelized. Add in Sausage and cook 1 minute more.
- Add in chicken broth and and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini and cook 6 minutes. Then remove from heat and add in tomatoes and baby spinach. Stir lightly until spinach is slightly wilted.
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 897mg | Potassium: 873mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 13095IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 2.1mg