I love, love, love these Bacon and Scallop Lettuce Wraps. Why? Because they’re smoky, creamy, spicy and crunchy all in one glorious bite.
I have to give a huge thank you to Tyler Florence for the idea of these fabulous lettuce wraps.
I have had bacon wrapped scallops many times before as an appetizer, and I love the lettuce wraps at PF Chang’s. But it wasn’t until Tyler that the whole thing came together so wonderfully.
To make it even better, he kicked it up a huge notch by adding avocados and a spicy Sriracha sauce. Oh yeah! Forget appetizers, I could eat these for dinner. In fact, we did! Let’s make them.
Ingredients for Bacon and Scallop Lettuce Wraps
- Sea Scallops
- Sriracha sauce
- Green lettuce leaves
How to Make Bacon and Scallop Lettuce Wraps
There is a small muscle that the scallop attaches itself to their shell and if you don’t remove it, the scallop can be a bit chewy. It’s located on the side and is very easy to remove. No cutting, just pull it off. After cleaning and removing the muscle from the Sea Scallops, cut each one in half. Then cut each bacon slice in half. This will give you 12 appetizers.
And then wrap each half scallop with a half bacon slice and secure it with a toothpick.
Most recipes call for bacon-wrapped scallops to be broiled. But I prefer baking them on a rack over a sheet pan so the bacon grease drips down and the bacon can brown evenly all over.
The oven temperature needs to be fairly high at 425 degrees, and I like to bake them for approximately 18-20 minutes until the bacon is crispy.
Normally shellfish cooked at this temperature for that long can get tough. But in this recipe, the bacon shields the scallop and they both turn out perfectly.
When the scallops are browned and beautiful remove the sheet pan from the oven.
For the Sriracha sauce, just whisk mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce and lime juice in a small bowl and set it aside.
To serve, lay out 12 green-leaf lettuce leaves. Add a bacon wrapped scallop to each. Then add 2 thin slices of avocado and about a teaspoon of Sriracha Sauce to each.
Next roll the lettuce leaf around the ingredients and plate them. Or eat them…whichever works for you.
And eat them without guilt. As far as healthy recipes go, these lettuce wraps are great. Only 69 calories per each and 1 gram of fat.
Life doesn’t get better than that!
Bacon and Scallop Lettuce Wraps. Hope you love them as much as we do.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment below and be sure and pin this recipe on Pinterest!
Bacon and Scallop Lettuce Wraps
- 6 Sea scallops
- 6 Slices Bacon Cut in half
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Tsp Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 Lime Juiced
- 12 Butter lettuce leaves
- 1 Large Avocado Peeled, pitted and sliced into thin slices
- 2 Tsp Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425 degees F
- Remove muscle from each scallop and cut in half.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and add a rack to the pan.
- Wrap each 1/2 scallop with 1/2 slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Set the 12 bacon wrapped scallops on the rack and place pan in the preheated oven. Bake 18-20 minutes until bacon is browned.
- Sriracha Sauce: While scallops are baking, combine mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce and lime juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To serve add 1 bacon wrapped scallop, 1-2 slices of avocado and 1/2 Tsp of Sriracha sauce to each lettuce wrap and sprinkle with cilantro. Wrap ingredients in the lettuce leaf and add to a serving platter.
You also might be interested in these recipes: