Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup is rich, lemony and full of vegetables. This easy recipe is one you’ll make again and again.
Who doesn’t love the comfort of chicken noodle soup? I think it’s the most popular of all the soups. I’m not sure exactly why but I suspect it’s due to the fact that a lot of us associate this soup with love. When we were young and got sick, our Mom’s wanted to do their very best for us. So they made us chicken noodle soup.
It was comforting, especially when we had sore throats. Those noodles were almost silky and really the only thing that we could swallow easily. Plus the taste was rich and totally satisfying. Somehow we just felt loved, and comforted and even healthier after a bowl of that wonderful soup.
Childhood memories don’t fade and I still love chicken noodle soup. And the thing is Mom was right. Chicken Noodle Soup according to Newsmax really is good for you. Homemade is the best of course because of fresh ingredients and the fact that you can control the sodium.
And for this recipe, I thought I’d do it a little differently. Instead of the spaghetti type noodles, I thought big flat lemon-pepper pappardelle noodles would be more substantial. Still silky, but with more substance and flavor.
And because I truly love veggies, I had to add them in as well in the form of a Mirepoix. Onions, celery and carrots – the basis for all great soups. It’s a perfectly balanced flavor combination.
Ingredients for Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Olive oil: For flavor and heart healthiness
- Chicken: For protein
- Celery: Calming and comforting
- Carrots: High in Vitamin C
- Onions: For flavor and it helps build your immune system
- Sea salt, pepper and thyme: A perfect balance of spices for this soup
- Lemon: For extra tang and super high in Vitamin C
- Chicken Broth: Manischewitz Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Noodles: Lemon-Pepper Pappardelle Noodles
How to Make Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup
The best thing about this homemade chicken noodle soup recipe is that it’s so easy to make. And believe me when I say it beats opening up a can of soup any day.
First, add olive oil to a large soup pot over medium high heat, then add the diced onions, celery and carrots. Stir and let them caramelize 2-3 minutes.
Then stir in the spices: salt, pepper and thyme. And add the lemon juice, the chicken and the chicken broth. Turn the heat to low and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
Next bring a pot of water, about 4 cups, to a boil and add a drizzle of olive oil to the water. This helps keep the noodles from sticking together.
Add in the pappardelle noodles and let them cook until they are at the al dente stage, about 8-9 minutes.
Finally, spoon the noodles into serving bowls and ladle the broth, chicken and vegetables over the top.
To serve, top with some finely minced parsley and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Notes about the Ingredients
My favorite chicken soup of all time and one that I used to highly recommend was Manischewitz Low Sodium Chicken Noodle Soup. Unfortunately, I can’t find it anywhere any more. So now I’ve switched to Pacific but, truth be told, if you’ve got the time nothing beats long simmered chicken bone broth with added in carrots, celery and shallots.
I use the juice of a whole lemon, because I love the lemon flavor, but you certainly can use 1/2 lemon, to cut the tang a bit.
Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 Tsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Celery Diced
- 1/2 Cup Carrots Diced
- 1/2 Cup Shallots Diced
- 1/2 Tsp Sea salt Prefer Himalayan Pink
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme, dried
- 1 Cup Cooked chicken Cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Med Lemon Juiced
- 32 Oz Chicken broth, low sodium Manischewitz preferred
- 4 Oz Lemon Pepper Pappardelle Noodle Trader Joe's
- 1 Tsp Olive oil
- Add oil to a soup pot over medium high heat. Then add the celery, carrots and shallots. Cook 2 minutes until vegetables just begin to caramelize.
- Season with salt, pepper, thyme and lemon juice. Add in diced chicken and the chicken broth, cover and allow to simmer 30 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, add 4 cups of water to a pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Add noodles and olive oil (to help the noodles from sticking together) and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and leave in warm pot until the soup has cooked.
- To serve: Spoon the noodles into serving bowls and top with soup. Optional: Sprinkle with minced parsley and a sprinkle of shredded Parmesan cheese.
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment below and we’d love to have you pin this on Pinterest!
For Similar Recipes:
Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup
Healthy Chicken Noodle Soup is rich, lemony and full of vegetables. This chicken noodle soup recipe is one you’ll make again and again.
Preparation Time: PT
Cooking Time: PT
Total Time: PT