This recipe for Tortilla Crusted Tilapia couldn’t be any easier. Only 4 ingredients you’ll be able to serve this deliciously spicy, crunchy tilapia in under 30 minutes.
Years ago I used to buy Tortilla Crusted Tilapia at Costco and it was good. But after doing research for my book Natural Healing Foods, I began to pay more attention to carefully studying the ingredients listed on the food I was buying.
That tilapia had a huge list of ingredients, some of which were unpronounceable. And knowing what I know now, that’s a definite red flag for me.
So from that point on I decided simpler was better. Like this Tortilla Crusted Tilapia. Just 4 ingredients and the taste far surpasses the packaged version. It’s fresher tasting and crispier with a spice level that you can control.
So let’s make it.
Ingredients for Tortilla Crusted Tilapia
- Tilapia fillets: The star of the show
- Olive oil: For health and taste
- Tortilla Chips: I used the baked version for lower fat
- Chile Lime Seasoning: Trader Joe’s blend of Chile, lime and red pepper
How to Make Tortilla Crusted Tilapia
First grind the tortilla chips in a processor. Depending on the size of your chips, you’ll need about 24 chips which will yield about 1/4 cup.
Then add the Chile Lime Seasoning to the ground tortilla chips and add the mixture to a plate.
I really love this fresh tasting, spicy seasoning. It’s a perfect blend of Mexican spices with Chile powder, red bell peppers and lime juice powder.
Then drizzle a little olive oil over both sides of the tilapia fillets and dredge each side in the tortilla mixture.
Spray a baking dish with oil, add the filets to the dish and place it in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 23-25 minutes.
The tilapia will be browned and crispy like they’ve been deep fried. Only much healthier.
Tortilla Crusted Tilapia
- 2 4 oz Tilapia filets
- 1/2 Tsp Olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Tortilla chips, ground About 20 tortilla chips
- 1 Tsp Chile Lime Seasoning Trader Joe's
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Add 20-25 tortilla chips to a food processor. This should yield about 1/4 cup of ground crumbs.
- Mix the crumbs with the Chile Lime Seasoning and add the mixture to a plate.
- Drizzle Tilapia fillets with olive oil on both sides. Then dredge the fillets in the spicy tortilla crumb mixture on both sides.
- Add the fillets to a lightly oiled baking dish and bake it in the oven for 23-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
If you liked this recipe, please leave a comment below and be sure and pin this on Pinterest!
For Similar Recipes: