Linguini with Scallops and Mizithra Browned Butter is rich, so simple and incredibly delicious.
About Linguini with Scallops and Mizithra
Linguini with Scallops and Mizithra Browned Butter was really inspired by the Old Spaghetti Factory.
This restaurant chain actually began in Portland, Oregon in the 60’s.
Going there is a real experience, where you can be seated in an old trolley car, or a brass bed, or a regular table with a view.
It’s filled with dark wood and chandeliers, Tiffany lamps and antique furniture and you feel like you’ve been transported back to another time.
But the best thing about the Old Spaghetti Factory is the food.
That’s why this great restaurant has stayed through the years, where others have failed.
My daughter loved it as a little girl and now it’s a favorite place for her to take her daughters.
And everyone always orders the same thing. Mizithra Cheese with Browned Butter.
It’s great plain, but I wanted to add scallops and vegetables to make it a more healthy meal. And so Linguini with Scallops and Mizithra Browned Butter.
This dish is addictive. The pasta is salty and buttery and surprisingly dry.
There’s just enough browned butter to make the grated mizithra lightly cling to it, as well as to the scallops and vegetables.
The browned butter is the key to its nutty richness.
And unlike heavily sauced pastas, it’s lighter and, well, perfect.
Yes, I hear you. Pam, this is supposed to be a healthier food blog.
I know, and it is.
But I have to say decadence on occasion is a good thing and believe me this is decadent.
However, I’m going to leave it up to you to choose.
So you can make this pasta dish with this wonderfully buttery nutty sauce or (and this choice is actually fabulous too) a more sensible sauce that is a chicken broth reduction, with garlic, wine and a touch of butter.
Both wonderful in their own ways.
I used scallops in this recipe, but shrimp would be great too.
Linguini with Scallops and Mizithra Browned Butter
- 4 oz Linguini
- 2 Cups Broccoli Chopped
- 1 Cup Tomatoes Chopped
- 2 Tsp Olive oil
- 4 Sea Scallops
- 4 Tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 4 Tbsp Mizritha cheese Grated
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- Bring pot of water to boil and add linguini. Allow to cook until al dente, about 4 minutes. Drain and add to serving bowl.
- In a microwave safe bowl, cook broccoli for 1 minute until just tender and remove from microwave and add tomatoes.
- Remove muscle from Scallops and sprinkle with pepper.
- Add oil to frypan and bring to medium heat. Add Scallops and allow to sauté 1 1/2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove to a plate.
- In frypan cook butter until foamy over medium heat, stirring constantly and continue to cook until just amber colored. Remove from heat and strain either through cheese cloth or through a very fine strainer.
- Pour clarified butter over linguini and sprinkle with mizithra cheese. Lightly mix to ensure cheese is well blended. Then mix in broccoli and tomatoes and top with Scallops.