Lemon Chicken with Capers is a soul satisfying, melt-in-your-mouth recipe that you will make again.
Lemon Chicken with Capers
Have you ever been to a Brio Tuscan Grille? If you have I’m sure you have returned many times, just as I have. Their food is both innovative and delicious. And everything I’ve ordered has been a winner. But I’m a creature of habit and if I find something that I absolutely love, I’ll order it again and again…and again. Like the Chicken Limone dish. It’s fabulous and probably the reason I keep ordering it is that I’m trying to really understand the preparation for this melt in your mouth dish so I can duplicate it in my kitchen.
I did ask our server if they might share the recipe, but she replied unfortunately no, it’s proprietary. I can’t blame them especially with this dish, since it’s one of the most popular items on their menu. She did say that she believed it was marinated first. So it was back to the kitchen for me. My marinade experiment failed. Way too lemony. But the egg wash I did seemed to be the right texture.
On a recent trip into Brio’s, I saw the Head Chef as I was leaving and told him how much I enjoyed all of the dishes especially the Chicken Limone and then asked him if was marinated first, he said, “No”. I then I said, “So it’s just an egg wash?” He smiled and said, “That’s right.” I was on the right track so when I came home, I gave it another try. And it finally worked out. Tender, savory, tangy, juicy and buttery. Lemon Chicken with Capers was finally perfected.
“I’m a chef at Eatzi’s and I used to run Brio. The recipe you have is very good. Nice job!”
By the way, you probably have noticed that I use a lot of lemons when I cook. I love the freshness and life it gives to any dish, but I also love lemons for their healthiness. Did you know that just 1 medium lemon contains 51% of your daily requirement of Vitamin C! That’s amazing!
If you like this recipe please leave a comment below and be sure to pin it on Pinterest!
Lemon Chicken with Capers
- 2 Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless Cut in half horizontally and pounded to 1/4”thick
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Large egg
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Shallot Minced
- 1 Lemon Sliced thin
- 1/4 Cup White wine Can use chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Capers
- Season the chicken filets with salt and pepper. Place flour on plate. Add the egg and water in shallow bowl and mix well.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour on both sides and lightly shake off the excess flour. Dip the floured chicken in the egg wash.
- In a frypan over medium high heat add 2 Tbsp of olive oil, then add chicken to pan. Allow to cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Turn over and cook another 2 minutes and remove to a serving platter.
- Add lemon slices to pan and allow to cook approximately 1 minute on each side. Add lemon slices to chicken.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to pan and add the chopped shallots. Cook until softened about 1 minute. Then add wine, lemon juice and chicken broth. Whisking to to remove browned bits on bottom of the pan. Allow to reduce, about 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium and add 2 Tbsp of butter and the capers. Continue whisking until sauce thickens.
- Drizzle the sauce over the chicken and lemon slices.