These Chicken Tacos with Avocado Salad begin with cooked rotisserie chicken. They’re really easy to make and are totally delicious.
When I was growing up at Lake Tahoe, there was a taco stand that was absolutely fabulous. Jim Boy’s Tacos.
These drippy, totally delicious tacos were made even better because after frying they were coated with Parmesan cheese. Oh yeah! Trust me when I say they were addictive. My Dad used to buy them by the bagful to bring home for dinner.
Jim Boy’s is no longer at Lake Tahoe, but they’re still in business in the Reno and Sacramento area. And thanks to Jim Boy, every time I make tacos now, they’re just not tacos without that Parmesan cheese.
Thanks Jim Boy!
This recipe is a healthier version. Instead of deep frying I used very little oil, but of course the cheese still has to be there. And for extra freshness, I added an Avocado Salad with a light dressing of Creme Fraiche.
And speaking of Healthy Recipes, a serving of these tacos with the avocado salad comes in at just 248 calories. Low-Cal Mexican food. Yay!
So let’s make them.
Ingredients for Chicken Tacos with Avocado Salad
- Red onions
- Cooked chicken
- Chipotle Chile Powder
- Sea salt
- Leaf lettuce
- Parmesan cheese
- Creme fraiche
- Corn tortilla
How to Make Chicken Tacos with Avocado Salad
To give the give the tacos a great caramelization flavor I first sautéed the onions and garlic in butter. Then added spices like smoky Chipotle Chile Powder which really gives these tacos a kick. I added just about a heaping 1/2 tsp, but if you really like it spicy add more. Plus, the oregano and especially the cumin really make these taste like South of the Border delicious.
Then just add your cooked shredded chicken into the ingredients.
To cook the tacos, just quickly heat the tortillas to make them more pliable – about 5-10 seconds on each side, and then fill each one with about 2 tablespoons of the chicken and vegetable mixture and fold them in half.
Then just add a couple of tsp of oil to a frypan over medium high heat and brown and crisp the tacos. This will take about 2 minutes on each side. And then line them up on a serving platter.
The final step is of course the cheese.
Be sure and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese generously over the top!
Finally, making the Avocado Salad is certainly simple with its green leaf lettuce tomatoes and avocados.To make the Creme Fraiche sauce simply add lemon juice and some cream to thin it. The lemon juice really gives the Creme fraiche sauce a tang and when added inside the tacos, everything just works together.
Hope you enjoy Taco Night!
If you like this recipe, please leave a comment below and be sure and pin this recipe on Pinterest!
Chicken Tacos with Avocado Salad
- 1 Tsp Butter
- 3/4 Cup Red onion Sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 1/2 Cups Cooked Chicken Shredded
- 3/4 Tsp Chipotle Chile Pepper McCormick's
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 1/4 Tsp Oregano
- 1/4 Tsp Sea Salt Prefer Himalayan Pink
- 1 1/2 Cups Leaf Lettuce Torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 Tomatoes Chopped
- 1 Avocado Sliced
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 1 Tbsp Cream Fraiche
- 1 Tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Cream
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 6 Corn Tortillas
- 1/2 Lime Juiced
- Add butter to a frypan over medium high heat. When melted add onions and cook 3-4 minutes until onions begin to soften and caramelize. Then add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more. Add shredded chicken, Chipotle pepper, cumin, oregano and sea salt and mix to combine. (If mixture seems dry add 1-2 Tbsp water).
- Avocado Salad: Add lettuce, tomatoes and sliced avocados to a medium bowl. In a squeeze bottle add creme Fraiche, lemon juice and cream and shake well. Squeeze sauce lightly over salad
- To assemble tacos: Add 1 Tsp oil to large frypan. When hot add tortillas and cook 5-10 seconds on each side. Turn over and cook another 5 seconds and stack on a paper towel. This allows the tortillas to become more flexible.
- Add approximately 2 Tbsp of chicken mixture to each tortilla and fold over. Repeat for all tortillas.
- Add remaining 2 Tsp of oil to pan over medium high heat and fry tacos about 2 minutes on each side until browned and slightly crispy.
- Stack tacos side by side on a serving platter, add a squeeze of lime juice in each taco and sprinkle grated Parmesan Cheese over the top.
- Serve tacos along side of Avocado Salad.
For more recipes similar to this, check out: