This easy recipe for Baked Salmon Fillets is accompanied by a rich and tangy lemon butter caper sauce.
Having lived in the Northwest, Salmon is one of my favorite types of fish because of the fabulous flavor. With Two Cups of Health I always try to focus on easy healthy recipes and with this Baked Salmon recipe, with its rich lemon butter caper sauce, salmon just doesn’t get better.
But since there are so many types of salmon, so which one do you choose? The University of California in Berkeley does a great job of explaining the various types. You can find the article here. For me, I often buy Sockeye salmon for a couple of reasons. This is the type of salmon I used in this recipe. I love the deep orange color and because it has a higher fat content it has a richer taste.
This recipe is perfect for company or even for a quick week night dinner because you can have this dish ready in less than 30 minutes.
So let’s make it.
Ingredients for Baked Salmon Fillets
- Salmon fillets: The star of the show
- Salt: Just a touch to bring all the flavors together
- Pepper: For a bit of spiciness
- Olive oil: For health
- Butter: To add richness to the sauce
- Shallot: For an extra measure of flavor
- Lemon: For tang
- Capers: For additional tang
- White wine: Another layer of flavor
How to Make Baked Salmon Fillets
First it’s important to preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
Next, season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides. Then add oil to a baking dish and place the salmon flesh side down and then flip them to have flesh side up. The salmon will now have a light coating of oil on both sides.
Then place the pan in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until the flesh is almost opaque.
While the salmon bakes, it’s time to make the sauce. This sauce is so good and yet so easy. Just add butter to a sauce pan over medium high heat. Then add diced shallots and cook 1-2 minutes until shallots just begin to caramelize.
Next add lemon juice, capers and white wine. Then reduce heat to medium and let it cook another 8-9 minutes until it’s reduced by about a third.
At this point whisk in 2 Tsp of butter a Tsp at a time as you continue whisking. This will begin to thicken the sauce.
When the salmon is done, remove the pan from the oven, pour the sauce over the top and serve.
Baked Salmon Fillets
- 2 4 oz Salmon fillets Skin on
- 1/2 Tsp Sea salt Prefer Himalayan Pink sea salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter Divided
- 1 Small Shallot Minced
- 1/2 Lemon Juiced
- 1/2 Tsp Capers
- 1/4 Cup White wine
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Season salmon on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to a baking dish and place salmon in dish flesh side down. Then flip the fillets over with the flesh side up. The salmon will now have a light coating of oil on both sides.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake 12-15 minutes.
- While the salmon is baking prepare the sauce. Over medium high heat add 1 Tsp butter. Then add shallots and cook 1-2 minutes just until the shallots begin to caramelize.
- Next add lemon juice, capers and white wine. Then reduce heat to medium low and cook 7-8 minutes until the sauce is reduced about a third.
- Then whisk in 2 Tsp of butter, one Tsp at a time and continue whisking with each addition until sauce begins to thicken.
- When salmon is done add the salmon to a serving plate, pour the sauce over the top and serve immediately.
For Similar Recipes: